Skip to main content

Hearty vegetable soup with cauliflower and kale

Good evening!

I like experimenting with new soups when the cooler weather arrives here in England.
This time I'd like to share a soup that I found really tasty - although I reckon that when it comes to personal preferences, everyone is different - and to make sure I won't forget how I made it, I will pen the ingredients before they leave my busy mind for good!

I will add a photograph as soon as I can - so far I only managed to get really ugly ones!
************************************************************************
Hearty vegetable soup with cauliflower and kale

Ingredients

1/ cauliflower, cut in small bits
2 large kale leaves, cut in bits, stalks not included
1 large onion, shredded
3 or more gloves of garlic
salt to taste
1 spoon of medium Curry powder
1 medium potato, sliced and diced
olive oil
optional: a few tomato crisps * and some fresh parsley to add to each plate

Preparation

Stir fry all the ingredients, then add water (about 1 litre), and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
Taste occasionally to adjust saltiness, general taste (or lack thereof, etc.)
When it's ready, there are two options:
1) Serve as it is, sprinkling some cut parsley on each plate.
2) Put it in a food blender and mix until it reaches a velvety consistency.

************************************************************************

Please note that if you put the soup in a food blender when boiling hot, it may crack the container (if it's a weak plastic). My Vitamix doesn't suffer from heat but I guess that eventually even a Vitamix jug will lose a bit of shine.

Second point: the taste becomes much more intense when you turn your soup into a smoothie. I prefer it like that. Some people rather eat a soup that tastes a bit different at every spoonful, and where the texture changes.

Third thing: during summer I had far too many tomatoes on my vine and to avoid throwing them away I dehydrated 80% of them, then I made tomato leathers with my Excalibur dehydrator. I used only tomatoes - nothing else.

The taste is supreme and the crisps are so thin and crunchy, it's unbelievable.

I picked quite a few and put them in my soup to add a lovely taste. You don't need to have them - but if you'd like to try the tomato taste you could venture with some tomato paste. Not quite the same, I know…but still a substitute.

This soup is so tasty that I might prepare a denser version to make my very first 'vegetable spread' to use on bread slices. A healthy sandwich!

Enjoy your meal!

Franz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Tesco "free from" ginger cookies (with gluten-free oat flour) wheat, dairy and gluten free

Tesco "free from" ginger cookies  http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268624669 Hello everyone! Winter is here and it's been snowing in Norfolk - as well as in the rest of the U.K.  This is the time when all the resolutions of eating only fresh, nutritious food, raw and healthy, disappear at the same speed that the outside temperature decreases. Two weeks ago I decided to go wheat free - just like that - or cold turkey, someone would rather say more idiomatically. Anyway, after reading the first 90 pages of The Wheat Belly recipe book by Dr. Davies, anybody with a brain will start wondering if wheat is such a healthy food after all. This is not to say that Dr. Davies is 100% correct in his assumption, but let's discuss this in another post - suffice to say that in the middle of January, when most people enjoy wheat-based dishes such as pasta, bread, pasties, cakes etc. I suddenly decided to see if I would...

The pirate drawing!

I love how Marie has coloured my pirate. Such a cute choice of pastel colours. Who on earth said that pirates must wear just black and earth colours! This is great! Brava! I found this on the Colouring Heaven FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ColouringHeaven/photos/ms.c.eJxFjlsOACEIA2~_04WER7n~_xVVT4Ipl0ShlOPilIRExYP06g7ABinQvIwz3EnRocZZSCBbBiLxF6EqXE2KUY0kp~_EW4lv0wrkDugXepZSriAiVKxqNI402eDnTC8HWvWSdR0ybc23lvNZaGEHyX2Osg~-.bps.a.1577375305909106.1073741851.1461766297470008/1580873155559321/?type=3&theater

Growing crops in a commercial size polytunnel - and fighting rabbits! (video included)

Growing crops in a commercial size polytunnel I'm having great fun in my 12.5 mt long polytunnel. Not only I get to see my plants thrive in almost 39C during sunny days, but I fight some cute rabbits every day as they dig under the doors and destroy my cauliflower and boccoli plants! I'm not a professional gardener or photographer, but I hope you will enjoy my basic photos of plant life in the hottest spot of my garden. You will also see that we captured a baby rabbit who was guilty of untold damage and a then we released it (he was sooo cuddly!)  But 2 weeks later, we caught him again and this time we released it in a park nearby (full of other rabbits, water etc) so he can eat plenty of produce - just not ours! A video is available on the bottom of this page. The first night we moved the strawberries outdoors, they were not protected, and the morning after the rabbits had eaten most of the plants - leaves and all! Needless to say, we rushed to build a ...